darklight digital festival archive
"The festival has something for everyone and promises to be as educational as it is inspirational. It's a golden opportunity to see what the creative digital community is up to. Don't be left in the dark"
Gerald Kelleher Ireland.com
Darklight Digital Film Festival screens short-films, documentaries, music videos, feature films, and animations, exciting, innovative films that use digital technology in their production. For the past 4 years Darklight, has brought new work to Irish audiences through cinema, exhibition and performance and to an International audience via the Internet and touring programme.
Check out the audio archive from darklight conference 2001
Other events include: an online art exhibition and annual gallery event the "Straylight Art exhibition" and a music and mixed media live show "Future Shadows"
Darklight's seminar series has been discussion on all aspects of digital filmmaking from technology to distribution.
Darklight Workshops/Touring Programme 1999-2007
Full list of workshops from the beginning of the Festival in 1999 available here
Full list of tour dates available here
Darklight Highlights 1999-2006
• World Première of Glen Dimplex Award winning artist Paul Rowley's feature film AS LÁTHAIR
• Award winning animations by AARDMAN - the makers of Wallace and Gromit and Chicken Run
• Rob Nilsson's SCHEME 6 -digital feature by San Francisco based film director and previous winner of both the PALME D'OR at Cannes and the Grand Jury Prize at the SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL
• DATA:BASE conference, symposium and exhibition exploring the theme of “Democratisation of Technology” presented in association with the Dublin Art and Technology Association
• Screenings of Irish OSCAR Nominees GIVE UP YER AUL’ SINS and FIFTY PERCENT GREY
• European première of Harmony Korine’s JULIEN DONKEY BOY
• George Lucas’ INDUSTRIAL LIGHT AND MAGIC selection
• OSCAR winning short film BUNNY from Blue Sky Studios
• Seminar on BBC Television’s ground-breaking WALKING WITH DINOSAURS, presented by its Director of Computer Animation, Mike Milne
• Conference on media copyright featuring prominent Stanford University lawyer Lawrence Lessig
• Launch of IRISH FILM BOARD new funding scheme, IRISH FLASH.
• Exciting music-led exploratory films and live performances from Warp Records, Decal, Cold Cut, Delicious 9 and D.A.D.D.Y.
• Darklight Touring Program 2002: DIGIDANCE (Sundance), New York, Washington D.C. and Sofia
• Irish Premier of MY WRONGS by Brass Eye’s CHRIS MORRIS
• PARANOIA AGENT, celebrated Japanese animation by Satoshi Kon
• DUBLIN 1 – Award winning animation by Ireland’s Monster Animation
• Public interview with BJÖRK video directors LYNN FOX
• Seminar on the revolutionary new video format HDV
• BAFTA award winning animation JO JO IN THE STARS by Marc Craste
• Emmy award winning cartoon series STAR WARS CLONE WARS
• Special screening PET PROJECTS featuring short films by top music video directors.
• 2004 discussion forums on funding, distribution and implications of wireless technology public access to creative content, held in collaboration with IRISH FILM BOARD, CITY ARTS CENTER, ARTS COUNCIL.
• DARKLIGHT SYMPOSIUM 2005, exciting and informative event, exploring issues relevant to anyone involved in cultural production, creative industries, journalism, broadcasting, technology and the opportunities our ever increasingly networked society offers.
• Participation of internationally renowned artists AL and AL in STRAYLIGHT section of the Darklight Film Festival 2006
• Public interview with John Thomson of Electronic Arts Intermix, New York
• Irish premiere of Jan Svankmajer's LUNACY,
• Workshop and screening from BEN FRY of Processing.org,
• Public screening of EAI catalogue including the late video artist NAM JUNE PAIK.
• Showcase of work from KRAKOW FILM FESTIVAL, ONEDOTZERO AND BANGKOK EXPERIMENTAL FILM FESTIVAL
•Ran a childrens film workshop in conjunction with RTE Young People's Programmes
•George Lucas' -Industrial Light and Magic selection
•Oscar winning short film 'Bunny' from Blue Sky Studios
•Graphic Japan: hottest new directors from the Tokyo 2000 generation
•Screenings from America's top festivals 'Rezfest' and 'The San Francisco Film Festival'
•Screenings from London's 'Onedotzero' and 'Pandemonium'
•Mike Milnes 'Walking with Dinosaurs' seminar
•Launch of Straylight online exhibition ''Darklight Perspectives' conference
•Future Shadows featuring dance music acts Cold Cut, Luke Slater, VJ/DJ Speedy J, Light Surgeons •Plus, talks, drinks, films, art, seminars, panels, discussion